A strategic plan is the document that sets out the specific activities that will be undertaken to overcome the challenges faced on the way to achieving your community’s or organization’s vision. It spells out the logical steps the community or organization and requirements needed to realize the vision in the timeline defined.
During the development of a strategic plan, questions, regarding the current state and position of your community or organization, where the community or organization want to be in a specified time frame, how the community or organization sees itself getting there, and the resources of people, tools, and finances that are best capable of supporting the community or organization to get there should all be addressed.
If helpful, copy and paste these questions onto a Word document as a working sheet.
Review (or build) your strategy plan and complete the checklist below.
- Planning Process – There is a general description of the process used to develop the plan.
- Vision Statement
- Mission Statement
- Value Statement
- Analysis Tools used to identify current/future state:
* SWOT analysis
* cost/benefit analysis
* performance audit(s)
* program evaluation(s)
* other analysis or evaluation tools used ____________________-
- Identify stakeholders
- Identify stakeholders who should be involved in the Strategic Planning Process
- Ensure authorization from stakeholders exists
- Objectives/goals/activities identified
- Objectives are SMART:
- Identify necessary resources for specific needs:
- Develop action plan
- Confirm timelines
- Assign responsibilities
- Create internal accountability process or system to measure progress
- Determine external accountability process or system to report on progress
- Preserve data and and identify maintenance plan
- Describe the fiscal impact
- Identify and determine the return on investment